WC-ARES Communications Events for 2018 See below. Washoe County ARES encourage all amateur radio operators and operators from Hospitals or Medical centers to come and volunteer to help and get more experience in communication and have lots of fun doing so.
1. On April 29th is the Reno 5000-1. Shawna, the director asked us to help again this year. Even though we don’t usually have much interaction with the aid station captains she appreciates our help with providing emergency communications with Reno Fire or REMSA if someone is injured.
2. May 5th is the SAGAN FONDO, back country bicycle ride starting at Truckee and going north. They are asking for communications help with four aid stations and six SAG wagons.
3. May 19th is the Incline Village Evacuation Exercise around Crystal Bay and Kings Beach. More details to follow. We will do many of the same communications that we did at the last Incline Village Evacuation Exercise.
4. July 20-22 is the Tahoe Rim Trail. It is a three-day back county run starting at Spooner Lake the same weekend as NVCON. It is a two to three-day camping communications event. If you are not going to NVCON, Doug KA7FOO is coordinating and needs your help.
5. September 12 - 16th Reno Air Races Bob WA6MTY is looking for volunteers to help out with the security . If you can spare 15 hours in 5 hours shifts, you can have full access to the RACES, that's a $450 value. Security / Pass checkers will verify the pass access to the pits, grand stands and more . ANYONE 18/YO can volunteer.
6. September 16th Edible Pedal starts at 6:00 AM to 5:00PM at Bowers Mansion Regional Park in Washoe Valley. They are asking for communications help with four aid stations and six SAG wagons.
Please let Bob or Doug and or Arlan know if you want to participate in any of these events. We need your help! Even if you are a new Ham, we will pair you up with an experienced member. You can email one of them at the email address below. Thanks for your support.
Bob = WA6MTY - [email protected]
Doug = KA7FOO - [email protected]
Arlan = KA7ZAU - [email protected]
For more events click this link to all events that you can help with >>EVENTS
EARN YOUR HAM RADIO LICENSE IN ONE DAY!
If you know anyone that wants to get their Technician License, upgrade to
General or Extra, Technician License for your first time, OR upgrade to General or Extra Class License contact Bob = WA6MTY - [email protected]
WHERE Regional Emergency Operations Center
5195 Spectrum Blvd, Reno, Nevada 89512
Hosted by the Amateur Radio Operators of Northern Nevada
Obtain a copy of “The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual”2nd Edition and/or “The Technician Class” book by Gordon West From: American Radio Relay League www.arrl.org, Ham Radio Outlet www.Hamradio.com
This is NOT a class, just a review. We will review every test question in the test bank, focusing only on the correct answer and when we finish the review, you can take the test to pass your Ham Radio License. The fee to cover the cost of the handouts: $8.00 for Technician, $8.00 for General and $12.00 for Extra. The fee for taking the exam is $15.00.
Note that the FCC requires us to collect either your Social Security Number or a Federal Registration Number with your license application. To obtain a Federal Registration Number, go to | WWW.FCC.GOV | and click on CORES in the left column. Follow the direction to obtain your FRN. Be sure you have it in your possession before attending the One-Day session
TO REGISTER GO TO: snars.org/one-day-ham-review/
or email for more info Bob WA6MTY [email protected]